How’s it going, people!
This is one of the best thought experiments out there and a personal favorite. Let’s begin.
A time-machine transports you to an unknown time period. You’re as naked as the day you were born. You look around and quickly realize that it’s the medieval age, a time of kings, castles and swords. There is no memory loss at all, you know every single thing you knew before. You also remember being told that the only way to get back, is by making people believe that you’re from the future.
How do you do that?
Some things to keep in mind :
- It’s not as easy as it looks.
- Think carefully and meticulously. Like, if you say ‘I’ll make a knife’, you must be ready to explain how exactly you will craft the handle, make a wedge, find metal/stone, sharpen it, screw it in place etc. You get the gist.
- We’ll be assuming there’s no superstition and fear of ‘sorcery’. Whatever you do, make it convincing.
- Notice it says ‘How’ and not ‘What’ you will do. You gotta explain whatever approach you pick.
- Most importantly, there are no right or wrong answers.